Hotels in Durham, USA
- Comprehensive hotel search for Durham online
- Find a cheap hotel in Durham!
- Book at the ideal price!
Durham, USA: Part of the Research Triangle
The city of Durham sits in central North Carolina. Durham, along with the neighbouring cities of Raleigh and Chapel Hill, makes up the region's famed Research Triangle. While Durham only has a population of about 250,000 people, the area as a whole has over 2 million people and plenty of history. Visitors to the region will find plenty to do, as the rich history of Durham and its surrounding area in always on display. The city is also home to Duke University, a school with a fantastic reputation within the academic community.
Visit the University
Durham is home to famed Duke University, one of the country's top research schools. The university is over 8,600 acres in size and is home to Gothic architecture that is worth checking out. Duke Chapel, which is on the school's west campus, is a particularly breath-taking, imposing building, which reaches 210 feet in height. Many hotels sit within walking distance of the university, making it easy to explore when spending time in the city. Other attractions on the Duke University campus include Sarah P. Duke Gardens, which is one of the largest public gardens in the entire country, Cameron Indoor Stadium, home of the Duke Blue Devils basketball team, and the Nasher Museum of Art. Overall, visitors could spend days simply walking around the campus and finding new things to explore.
Experience the Arts
There is a vibrant art scene in Durham that is visible in many different locations. Carolina Theatre sits right in the heart of the city and features performances from local and national comics, musicians, and actors. The building remains outfitted in its original 1926 décor, which adds to its overall atmosphere. The Durham Performing Arts Center is also in the city's downtown core. This theatre is quite new and hosts close to 200 performances throughout the year, so there is usually something to see at this building. Broadway shows frequently make their way to this centre, as well, although tracking down tickets to these performances takes some luck. The 21c Museum is an art gallery that features contemporary exhibits of both established and emerging artists. Other cultural events like poetry readings, local films, lectures, musical performances, and plays make appearances in this building at various times in an attempt to expose people to these forms of art.
Learn the Local History
As with other cities in the southern United States, plenty of history is present in Durham. Bennett Place State Historic Site is a Civil War site that is where the largest troop surrender in the entire war occurred. This location is essentially where the American Civil War ended, as Confederate armies from multiple areas put down their weapons on this site. Live re-creations of this historic event occur every April on this site, and the buildings have been restored so that visitors can walk around and explore them. Much of Durham's history was influenced by the tobacco industry. Washington Duke, for whom the city's university is named, was one of the most successful tobacco producers in the country. In fact, at one time, he was responsible for about 90% of all tobacco created in the country. The Duke Homestead State Historic Site sits on the plantation where this tobacco was grown and is now a museum that visitors can explore. American Tobacco, the former site of a tobacco plant that has been turned into an entertainment district. The Brightleaf Square District, which is made up of two tobacco warehouses, also pays homage to the city's history while providing modern amenities.
Do Some Shopping
Although Durham isn't a huge city, the fact that such a large university is present means that there are some shopping opportunities available. The Streets at Southpoint sits just south of Durham and is one of the largest malls in NC. Although the mall is out of town, it is reachable by car from hotels downtown. The shopping centre is made of up an indoor section and a strip mall, so visitors will find plenty of stores in which to browse. Other large malls in Durham include Northgate Mall and Brightleaf Square. For boutique shopping, 9th Street, which sits between Duke's central and east campus', is the place to go.
Catch Annual Events
The annual events that take place in Durham are a major draw for locals and visitors alike. The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, which is held every April, is the largest festival of its type in the entire country and attracts visitors and entrants from throughout the United States. In the summer, the American Dance Festival comes to town. This festival is the largest celebration of contemporary dance in the country. Other well-known events in the city include the Art of Cool Jazz Festival, the Festival for the Eno, the Bull Durham Blues Festival, the World Beer Festival, and the Durham Art Walk Holiday Market.
Price rangefrom C$57to C$474
- Hotel Quality Inn & Suites Medical Parkdeals from C$69
- Hotel Extended Stay America Suites - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.deals from C$67
- Hotel La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh Durham Southpointdeals from C$95
- Hotel Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtowndeals from C$126
- Hotel Super 8 Durham University Areadeals from C$54
- Hotel Comfort Suites Raleigh Durham Airport RTPdeals from C$83
More Top Hotels
- Extended Stay America Suites - Raleigh - RTP - 4610 Miami Blvd.
- DoubleTree Raleigh Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
- 21C Museum Hotel Durham
- HomeTowne Studios Raleigh-Durham
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP
- OYO Hotel Durham West Hills
- Sonesta Select Durham Research Triangle Park
- Aloft Durham Downtown
- Days Inn Durham
- Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85
- Hilton Garden Inn Durham University Medical Center
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham
- Extended Stay America Suites - Raleigh - RTP - 4919 Miami Blvd.
- SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park
- Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center
- Extended Stay America Suites - Raleigh - Research Triangle Park - Hwy. 54
- Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-Rtp
- Hotel Hilton Durham near Duke University
- Wingate by Wyndham Raleigh Durham - Airport
- Red Roof Inn Chapel Hill - UNC
- Red Roof Inn Durham - Triangle Park
- Extended Stay America Suites - Raleigh - Research Triangle Park - Hwy. 55
- Cozy Home Close To Downtown Duke Rdu Unc
- Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
- Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
- Hotel Millennium Durham
- Sleep Inn Raleigh Durham Airport
- Comfort Inn Research Triangle Park
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
- Marriott Durham City Center
- Hilton Garden Inn Durham Southpoint
- SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
- Hyatt Place Durham Southpoint
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Durham Chapel Hill
- Hotels in Toronto 11903 Hotels deals from C$25
- Hotels in New York 16882 Hotels deals from C$50
- Hotels in Niagara Falls 1530 Hotels deals from C$33
- Hotels in Montreal 10637 Hotels deals from C$22
- Hotels in Chapel Hill 242 Hotels deals from C$76
- Hotels in Raleigh 941 Hotels deals from C$56
More Top Destinations
- Myrtle Beach
- Washington D.C.
- Virginia Beach
- Québec City
- North Carolina
- Fort Lauderdale
- Atlantic City
- Niagara Falls
- Las Vegas
- Miami Beach
- High Point
- Winston Salem
- Lake George
- Old Orchard Beach